BA Program Requirements
Following your passion for theatre
The theatre program requires that you complete the general education requirements as specified by the University. In addition, you will take 35-36 hours of courses in theatre reading and writing, acting and directing, theatre history, design and technology, theory and experimental forms of theatre. Theatre is a non-comprehensive major and does require that you have at least one minor.
In addition to meeting the University's admission requirements, students must be officially accepted into the Theatre BA program prior to the first semester of coursework in the major. A statement of purpose detailing why the candidate has chosen this degree is required. Prospective students should contact the Department of Theatre and Dance for specific information about the statement and application dates.
Major requirements (41 hours):
Note: Courses counted for the major may not also be counted for the Bachelor of Arts-Fine Arts requirement.
- Script Analysis (3 hours): THE 130(3).
- Acting (8 hours): THE 125(2), 222(3), 323(3).
- Theatre History (6 hours): THE 541(3), 542(3).
- Design/Technology/Stage Management (6 hours): THE 150(2), 151(1); choose 3 hours from THE 250(2) and 251(1), or THE 255(3), or THE 260(2) and 261(1), or THE 354(3).
- Directing (3 hours): THE 430(3).
- Public Affairs Capstone Experience (3 hours): THE 515(3).
- Elective (11 hours): Complete an additional 11 hours from advisor approved THE and/or DAN courses.
- Senior Project (1 hour): THE 482(1).
- Minor required (or second major).
- Specific Bachelor of Arts Degree Requirements